- Upcoming Events
- UAW statement on passing of Nelson Mandela
- UAW Graduate Employees Reach Historic Agreement with NYU after Eight-Year Struggle
- In a 3-1 victory, dealers at the Flamingo Las Vegas/Margaritaville Casinos vote to join UAW
- UAW Vice President General Holiefield announces retirement
- Ohio casino workers join UAW
Category Archives: Uncategorized
GEO Membership Meeting Tomorrow, 11/14
When: 5:30 – 7:30 pm
Where: Campus Center 101
Come eat, discuss, socialize, and plan with your fellow union members tomorrow at the GEO Membership Meeting! We hope to see you there!
GEO Stewards’ Assembly, Wednesday, November 20
When: Wednesday, November 20, 5:30 – 7:30 PM
Where: Campus Center 917
The Stewards’ Assembly is a great place to meet other union stewards from departments all over campus. These meetings offer a unique opportunity to support one another, share information, and strengthen the vital structure of the union. We will have some food and drink, so stop by, have a bite to eat, and get involved!
Click here to view the proposed changes to the GEO bylaws. All questions and comments about the proposed changes to the bylaws should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org OR deposited in the anonymous box to be provided outside the GEO office.
Campus Equity Week is a week of education and action to draw attention to the struggle of contingent academic workers for fair pay and the right to organize. Quality education depends practically and ethically on professional and just working conditions for all faculty and staff, including contingent faculty and graduate student workers. The crisis of contingent faculty employment at colleges and universities is at the core of the inequities that pervade higher education. For information on the week’s history and national scope, visit www.campusequityweek.org/2013/.
You can take part in this important week by joining the UMass Graduate Employee Organization, the Massachusetts Society of Professors, and the Graduate Student Senate at any of the following events:
- Monday from 12-1:30PM in DuBois Library 2601: come hear local heroes of the adjunct labor movement Ellen Martins and Sean Barrett speak about efforts to organize for better adjunct working conditions. Co-sponsored by MSP & GEO-UAW.
- Monday thru Friday from 10-3 in the Campus Center Concourse: Stop by GEO-UAW’s Solidarity Table and help support graduate student and faculty efforts to unionize, bargain fair contracts, and fight for fair treatment locally and nationwide! GEO-UAW will be collecting messages of solidarity for our UAW brothers and sisters at Goddard College, GSOC-UAW2110 at NYU, and UAW2865 at the University of California; testimonials about the importance of the union to graduate students at UMass Amherst; and signatures on important petitions.
- Wednesday, 10/30, at 11:30AM in Campus Center 917: Barbara Madeloni, candidate for President of the Massachusetts Teachers’ Association, will speak on the importance of organizing against neoliberal educational practices. Sponsored by GEO-UAW.
- Wednesday, 10/30, at 7PM in Campus Center 911: Come out to a social justice dialogue on social class and graduate student identity, co-facilitated by GSS & GEO-UAW!
We look forward to seeing you at these important events! If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
Anna and Eric
I am happy to announce that the Graduate Employee Organization Bowling League will begin again this weekend!
The Graduate Employee Organization has reserved 5 lanes, for one night per week, for the next 8 weeks at Spare Time bowling in Northampton, MA.
It costs $8 to bowl each night. At the end of the 8 weeks, you get a free bowling ball!
We meet every Sunday at 6:30 PM starting this Sunday October 20th and ending on Sunday December 1st. While it’s encouraged to come to all 8 weeks, so you can get your free bowling ball, you are welcome to come out to as many or as few nights as you want.
The league will meet at Spare Time Bowling, 525 Pleasant Street, Northampton, MA.
If you are interested in attending, email me, GEO Co-Chair Eric Hoyt, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keep an eye out for more GEO social events in addition to bowling in the coming weeks and months!
I hope you’ll join us!