from Graduate Employee Organization (GEO-UAW) http://ift.tt/2g81BTQ
The UAW Local 2322 team raised about $1,500 to support Safe Passage’s programs for survivors of intimate partner violence
It is end of the year giving time!
Geo is interested in giving a donation to a few charities of your choice on behalf of its members.
Have a charity or cause you would like to see your union to support?
Do two things:
1) Send a donation proposal to Staff@GEOUAW.org with ‘donation’ in the subject line.
In the proposal include name of the group, what they do, and their nonprofit tax code.
If they are not a tax exempt organization then we can still donate, but will have to create a ‘donation plan’ (it takes some explaining) email us for details on how to create a ‘donation plan’ for your charity of choice ASAP so we can help you make one for your proposal.
We will be accepting proposals until Monday, December 5th at 11:59PM
So dont be late!
2) Come to the membership meeting Thursday December 8th at 6PM at Earthfoods in the Student Union and make a motion to support your cause.
Let’s better our community, together! from Graduate Employee Organization (GEO-UAW) http://ift.tt/2cBILzk
GEO is currently hiring a Black Caucus Coordinator and will be holding elections for Bargaining Committee positions. These positions are paid opportunities to get involved in your Union.
GEO is hiring a Black Caucus Coordinator, please check this link for more info:
Deadline: Dec. 2 at midnight.
Open nominations for our paid Bargaining Committee positions. Here is the info:
Deadline: Nov. 30 at midnight.
If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. from Graduate Employee Organization (GEO-UAW) http://ift.tt/2cBILzk
GEO Hiring Notice: Black Caucus Coordinator, DEADLINE EXTENDED TO DECEMBER 2 AT 11:59PM
Black Caucus Coordinator
The Black Caucus is a progressive, democratic organization of domestic and international Black and African-descended graduate student-workers dedicated to the pursuit of racial, gender and economic equality through active political participation.
The Black Caucus Coordinator supports the Black Caucus in its work to address the unique needs and issues of both domestic and international Black graduate student-workers and graduate student-workers of Color in our bargaining unit. The Black Caucus Coordinator position responds to
GEO’s recognition that this population faces workplace challenges such as unfair labor practices, racism, xenophobia and sexism that are directly and uniquely related to their racial/ethnic identities. In addition, the Black Caucus Coordinator position responds to GEO’s recognition that the target population makes up a significant portion of our bargaining unit and membership, that is nonetheless underrepresented in GEO leadership and participation.
The Black Caucus Coordinator will work with the Black Caucus in the execution of its stated mission and organizational goals as outlined for the upcoming year. The coordinator will act as a liaison between the Caucus and GEO leadership as well as the broader GEO Membership. The Black Caucus Coordinator works closely with UAW2322 Servicing Representatives in the performance of these duties. The Black Caucus Coordinator is directly supervised by the Executive Board of the Black Caucus, the GEO Steering Committee and the UAW 2322 President.
· Facilitate the integration of employment issues concerning domestic and international Black and other graduate student-workers of Color with other GEO campaigns.
· Create a solid support system amongst Black and graduate student-workers of Color across departments/programs through the development of an information and mobilization network between the Black Caucus, GEO, and the Graduate Student Senate.
· Increase Black Caucus membership and participation rate of Black and other graduate student-workers of Color within GEO.
· Foster a race-conscious engagement with GEO’s contract to ensure equitable enforcement of contract.
Job Duties include, but are not limited to:
· Coordinate Black Caucus’ ongoing organizing efforts, including proposing and executing initiatives and campaigns consistent with Black Caucus’ mission and goals
· Convene, propose, and organize agendas for Black Caucus meetings
· Facilitate, organize, and record Black Caucus meetings and events
· Work with Black Caucus and GEO Leadership, as well as the active Grievance Coordinator to address labor concerns and ensure equitable enforcement of the GEO contract
· Participate in the ongoing planning and evaluation of GEO’s organizing efforts as they relate to Black and other graduate student-workers of Color
· Participate in Steering Committee Meetings per GEO-UAW bylaws
· Participate in GEO General Membership Meetings
· Serve as a liaison between GSS, registered GSOs, and other departments/programs and schools as necessary for the performance of job duties
· Record, document, and archive projects, campaigns, and membership concerns carried out during the term
· Carry-out administrative duties immediately necessary for the Black Caucus assigned by the Executive Board
· Maintain social media presence; maintain membership and Executive Board communication and correspondence
Details: We are hiring one (1) benefitted position, 20 hours a week; for the Spring 2017 semester (summer funding may be possible). Funding for this position will come from GEO-UAW Local 2322, therefore applicants must legally qualify for employment with a non-university organization (UAW Local 2322). We are seeking candidates with experience working with underrepresented minority communities, as well as experience organizing events and meetings.
Every organizing position also comes with the requirement that the organizer be willing to help out in campaigns and organizing projects that are not narrowly related to their specialty, particularly at times when tasks within their organizing specialty are not at peak periods of intensity. Organizers are thus responsible for all aspects of assistance in the union’s organizing campaigns, including campaign start-up, committee building, assessments, developing literature, running meetings
and workplace actions.
All employees are expected to devote a portion of their paid working hours to office management tasks (i.e. holding office hours, answering phones, taking messages, in-taking grievances, greeting members who come into the office, etc.) and to attend meetings as required, including regular staff meetings. Some night and weekend hours may be required.
Applicants must have been GEO members for 2 consecutive semesters prior to the hire.
In order to apply, please submit:
A cover letter stating the reasons you are interested in the position
and your qualifications. In your cover letter please address the
1. Why are you interested in being hired for this position?
2. What kind of union activism, organizing, community or volunteer
experience do you have? In what capacities have you been active with
3. What skills do you possess that would be beneficial for this
A completed GEO Staff Application Form available here: https://www.geouaw.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/GEO-STAFF-POSITION-APPLICATION-FORM.docx
Be prepared to bring proof of your student status to your interview (e.g. a letter from your GPD confirming your status). Also, international students need to provide their work authorization
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com.
Deadline: DECEMBER 2, 2016 AT 11:59PM