GEO is now hiring for two staff assistantships within the office. The Family Issues Advocate provides support for graduate students with families and represents their issues to the union and administration. The Organizer/Membership Mobilization Coordinator provides leadership for campaign development and internal organizing within GEO.
Preference will be given to GEO members who have been active in committees and campaigns, or have related issue experience. Non-members (including agency fee payers) are not eligible to apply. GEO membership remains in effect for one semester after the end of your last contract. Applicants should be committed to the general principles of social justice and collective action.
This position is for 20 hours a week for the 2010-2011 academic year. GEO/UAW Local 2322 will provide training. People of color and women are encouraged to apply. International students are eligible and GEO will work to accommodate visa requirements. The salary is the same as the average campus-wide stipend and GEO will pay for university health benefits. In the past, all GEO staff employees who have needed tuition waivers have received them.
The start date for this position is flexible and could potentially begin next semester, depending on applicant’s availability.
In order to apply, please submit: a resume and completed GEO Staff Application form (attached).
Questions and applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Friday, October 15, 2010 for priority consideration. Please indicate which position you are applying for in the subject line of the email.
Position: Office Manager (GEO office/UMass Amherst campus)
Job Duties include but are not limited to:
- Manage membership database (input form and send on to UMass office)
- Various clerical duties (word processing, copying, faxing, filing)
- Answering & redirecting phone calls
- Checking email, mail, voicemail and answering or redirecting as necessary.
- Keeping track of staff schedules
- Assist in preparing mailings (including bi-yearly Hudson report)
- Design & edit printed materials (letters, postcards, pins, t-shirts, flyers, leaflets, and other materials)
- Prepare materials for Assembly & Committee meetings (Prepare agenda, file minutes, send reminders)
- Maintain website
- Order & maintain supplies for the office and equipment (also scheduling equipment maintenance)
- Maintain methods of communication with membership and individualized groups (Stewards, Committees, Assembly…)
- Prepare orientation packets for new members
- Maintain membership card & discount program for members (in coordination with 2322 office manager)
- Work in close communications with 2322 office to share information & monitor situations
- Compare UMass dues report with database to verify payments
- Physically organize files, supplies and various work materials
- Maintain grievance & invoice databases (in development)
- Taking minutes at staff meetings
- Check mail & messages for out of office staff and forward appropriately
- Maintaining communications with Local office, including attending staff meetings, forwarding weekly vouchers, etc.
- Help maintain GEO budget
- Additional duties as required
- Pleasant phone manner
- Ability to take accurate messages/notes
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of database management
- Knowledge of MicroSoft office programs
- Strong organizational skills
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn about unions & UAW
- Ability to effectively assist people in crisis
- Ability to multitask in a stressful environment
- Ability to respect member confidentiality
Pay and Benefits
- Pay and benefits will be based on current contract language.
- This is a salary position and covered by a union security agreement.
Interested parties should send resumes to:
|UAW Local 2322
4 Open Square Way, #406
Holyoke, MA 01040
Deadline for receipt is August 14th, 2010