Nominations are now open for GEO Officers and Steering Committee Members-at-Large. Email the GEO Steering Committee at email@example.com to nominate yourself or another member.
The officer positions are 20-hour assistantships paid at the average GEO rate. Nominees must be members in good standing for at least one year to be on the ballot.:
- Two (2) GEO Co-Chairs
- Responsibilities will include but are not limited to: organizing and overseeing the election of Stewards in departments and/or work sites; Chairing Steering Committee meetings and General Membership meetings and ensuring agendas are set for both; primary GEO representatives to the Joint Council of Local 2322 and must attend Joint Council meetings; except where otherwise noted, the co-chairs shall be considered to be the official representatives of GEO to the Administration and in all external relations; sign agreements between GEO and the University (with approval of the General Membership and/or Assembly of Stewards); shall serve as liaisons for the Steering Committee to the Staff; responsible for ensuring GEO representation at Central Labor Council meetings; speak on behalf of GEO to media, the University, etc.; act as primary liaisons between GEO and other Unions; manage the production of media and publicity; oversee publication of GEO newsletter and web page; organizing Standing Committees; and assist the union in achieving its overall mission in the workplace.
- One (1) GEO Mobilization Coordinator
- Responsibilities include but are not limited to: supervising membership drives; assisting in boosting attendance; attending Steering and Assembly of Stewards meetings; introducing all new members and visitors; assisting the GEO Co-Chairs in preserving order when called upon to do so; ensuring that minutes are taken at all GEO meetings; maintaining records of organization; submitting requisitions to the Local and International as needed; planning and administering GEO operating budget and chairing the GEO Finance Committee; facilitating GEO sponsorship of events and organizations; taking charge of all property of GEO not otherwise provided for; to monitor and give guidance on procedural questions and rules; ensuring that those attending GEO meetings are either members or invited visitors; assuming duties if the Co-Chairs they are unavailable; and assisting the union in achieving its overall mission in the workplace.
Nominations are also open for the two (2) Members-at-Large of the GEO Steering Committee. These are volunteer positions, described in the GEO Bylaws, Article 6, as:
- A. The Steering Committee will consist of the three officers, two Stewards elected by the stewards assembly, and two members at-large elected by the Membership. Each member of the Steering Committee will be entitled to one vote on any issue raised at any Steering Committee meeting. In addition, all staff members of GEO are ex-officio, non-voting members of the steering committee.
- B. The Steering Committee shall be responsible for the day-to-day operation of the unit including, but not limited to: the direction of the day-to-day operations of the organization; the oversight of the staff; preparation and submission of all proposals, budgets, budget requisitions and budget modifications to the Assembly of Stewards for approval; coordination and oversight of standing committees; the appropriate maintenance of the health of the organization; management and execution of the budget; all correspondence and relations between the leadership, the Assembly of Stewards and the membership; and all external relations excepting those duties specifically proscribed for other committees (such as the Bargaining Committee).
- C. The Steering Committee shall meet at least two times a month during the academic year. The committee shall meet once a month at other times. Additional meetings can be called as needed by the officers.
Again, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to nominate yourself or another member for any of these positions. Nominations close at 5pm on Sunday, April 15.