Dear GEO members,
GEO is hiring a caucus and committee organizer! The position is benefited, 20 hours a week, and paid at the GEO minimum. Applications are due by August 15, 2017 and the start date is September 5, 2017. Please see details below.
GEO-UAW Local 2322
The Caucus and Committee Organizer will be hired with the expressed aim of establishing, growing and sustaining a network of caucuses and committees within GEO. Per the GEO bylaws, these caucuses and committees are spaces established by the membership to create mechanisms for autonomous union participation and engagement by GEO members. For members that cannot attend and participate in Membership Meetings and/or Stewards Assemblies because of work and personal constraints, these caucuses and committees may work as alternate spaces for union participation, engagement, empowerment and leadership development. Given that there are multiple caucuses and committees explicitly mentioned in the bylaws as well as several that have formed by the expressed necessity of members, it is crucial that these spaces are supported to ensure their autonomy as well as their continued communication and engagement with the staff, leadership, the membership as well as our wider community.
The Caucus and Committee Organizer supports caucuses and committees in their work to address the unique needs and issues brought up by their constituencies. The Caucus and Committee Organizer position responds to GEO’s recognition that the populations that participate and establish caucuses and committees face workplace challenges such as unfair labor practices, racism, xenophobia and sexism that are directly and uniquely related to their identities. In addition, the Caucus and Committee Organizer position responds to GEO’s recognition that these targeted populations make up a significant portion of our bargaining unit and membership, that is nonetheless underrepresented in GEO leadership and participation.
The Caucus and Committee Organizer will work with members of caucuses and committees in the execution of their stated missions and organizational goals as outlined for the upcoming year. The organizer will act as a liaison between the caucuses and committees and GEO leadership as well as the broader GEO Membership. The Caucus and Committee Organizer will work closely with the Mobilization Coordinator and UAW 2322 Servicing Representatives in the performance of these duties. The Caucus and Committee Organizer is directly supervised by the GEO Steering Committee and the UAW 2322 President.
● Establish, sustain and grow a network of caucuses and committees within GEO that will increase membership engagement, participation and empowerment
● Increase the membership and participation rate of graduate student-workers of color and other underrepresented groups within GEO through caucuses and committees
● Foster a race-conscious engagement with GEO’s contract to ensure equitable enforcement of contract
Job Duties include, but are not limited to:
● Coordinate caucus and committee’s ongoing organizing efforts, including proposing and executing initiatives and campaigns consistent with the mission and goals of the caucuses and committees
● Facilitate, organize, and record caucus and committee meetings and events
● Support in the drafting of agendas for caucus and committee meetings
● Support in the facilitation and organization of caucus and committee meetings and events
● Participate in Bargaining and Steering Committee Meetings per GEO-UAW bylaws
● Participate in GEO General Membership Meetings as well as the Stewards Assembly
● Serve as a liaison between GSS, registered GSOs, and other departments/programs and schools as necessary for the performance of job duties
● Work with GEO Leadership and the Mobilization Coordinator to address labor concerns and ensure equitable enforcement of the GEO contract
● Participate in the ongoing planning and evaluation of GEO’s and the caucuses and committees’ organizing efforts
● Record, document, and archive projects, campaigns, and membership concerns carried out during the term
● Carry-out miscellaneous duties immediately necessary for the caucuses and committees
We are hiring one (1) benefitted position, 20 hours a week; for a period of 38 weeks, start date September 5, 2017. Funding for this position will come from GEO-UAW Local 2322, therefore applicants must legally qualify for employment with a non-university organization (UAW Local 2322). We are seeking candidates with experience working with underrepresented minority communities, as well as experience organizing events and meetings. See attached job description for more details.
Every organizing position also comes with the requirement that the organizer be willing to help out in campaigns and organizing projects that are not narrowly related to their specialty, particularly at times when tasks within their organizing specialty are not at peak periods of intensity. Organizers are thus responsible for all aspects of assistance in the union’s organizing campaigns, including campaign start-up, assessments, developing literature, running meetings and workplace actions.
All employees are expected to devote a portion of their paid working hours to office management tasks (i.e. holding office hours, answering phones, taking messages, in-taking grievances, greeting members who come into the office, etc.) and to attend meetings as required, including regular staff meetings. Some night and weekend hours may be required.
Applicants must have been a UAW member in good standing for one year or two consecutive semesters prior to start date, and a current graduate student.
In order to apply, please submit:
A cover letter stating the reasons you are interested in the position and your qualifications. Also, please include your thoughts on the following questions:
Why are you interested in being hired for this position?
What kind of union activism, organizing, community or volunteer experience do you have? In what capacities have you been active within GEO?
What skills do you possess that would be beneficial for this position?
Do you plan on having another assistantship or paid position that will require a significant commitment of your time? If so, please provide details of this position.
Be prepared to bring proof of your student status to your interview (e.g. a letter from your GPD confirming your status). Also, international students need to provide their work authorization
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com, applications are due by August 15, 2017.